Investing in a quality lawn mower is key to maintaining a beautiful yard. With so many options, choosing the right mower under $500 can be tricky. This comprehensive guide reviews the top-rated lawn mowers under $500 and provides tips for picking the best one for your needs.
Why Buy a Lawn Mower Under $500?
Spending under $500 for a mower gets you:
- Cost savings – Avoid the expensive commercial-grade models. $500 provides high quality at an affordable price.
- Ideal for small yards – Mowers in this range work great for lawns up to 1 acre. No need to splurge for large acreage.
- Reduced upkeep – Cheaper mowers have simpler maintenance needs than heavy-duty options.
- Variety – Many types – gas, electric, battery, push, self-propelled – are available under $500.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Lawn Mower Under $500
To find the best value mower for your lawn, assess:
The wider the cutting deck, the fewer passes needed to mow your lawn. Look for at least a 20-inch width for efficient mowing.
Gas mowers should have at least 140cc engines. Electric corded and battery mowers should have at least 12 amps and 36 volts respectively.
Wheels, casing width, and weight impact maneuverability. Look for adjustable wheels, slim mower body, and light weight.
Ease of Use
Start with push-button ignitions and adjustable cutting heights. Make sure handles are ergonomic and easy to fold up.
Metal blades, solid casing, ball-bearing wheels and heavy-duty construction boost longevity. Check warranties too.
Reviews: Best Lawn Mowers Under $500
Based on value, performance and buyer reviews, here are the top lawn mower picks under $500:
1. Craftsman M105
With a powerful 140cc gas engine and 21” steel deck, the Craftsman M105 makes quick work of mowing medium-sized yards. Dual lever height adjustment and an auto-choke system also adds to convenience.
- 140cc gas engine
- 3-in-1 mowing (bagging, mulching, side discharge)
- Easy start technology
- 21” cutting width
2. Greenworks MO40L410
This Greenworks cordless mower delivers up to 60 minutes of mowing on a single 40V battery charge. At just 37 pounds, it’s easy to maneuver and store. The 2-in-1 design allows bagging or mulching.
- 40V lithium-ion battery
- 10 position height adjustment
- 2-in-1 rear discharge/mulching
- 20” cutting deck
3. Troy-Bilt TB110
With its dependable 163cc gas engine, the Troy-Bilt TB110 provides reliable power for mowing medium-sized yards. The 21” deck allows wide cuts and the rake bumper protects against obstacles.
- 163cc Briggs & Stratton engine
- 21” cutting width
- 6 position height adjustments
- Rake bumper for protection
4. American Lawn Mower Company Push Reel
This classic manual reel mower from American Lawn Mower is eco-friendly and ditches the noise, fumes, and maintenance of gas/electric models. The cushioned loop handle and ball bearing wheels make mowing comfortable.
- Manual push reel operation
- Heat-treated alloy steel blades
- Cutting height 1”-3”
- Grass catcher included
5. Snapper SP60V
For max convenience, the Snapper SP60V self-propelled mower takes the effort out of pushing. Just engage the variable speed rear-wheel drive and it powers itself along as you walk behind.
- Rear wheel drive self-propelled system
- 21” steel mowing deck
- 7 position height adjustment
- 16” rear wheels
Lawn Mower Buying Guide: Expert Tips
Beyond the reviews, keep these expert tips in mind when choosing among top lawn mowers under $500:
Pick an Engine/Power Type
- Gas – Best for large areas. Powerful but higher maintenance.
- Electric – Corded models provide consistent power. Range limited by cord length.
- Battery – No cord, lower maintenance. Run times vary based on battery performance.
- Manual – Non-powered push reel mowers work well for small lawns. Eco-friendly.
Consider Terrain and Yard Size
Evaluate your terrain and lawn size to help select the right mower:
- Bumpy, uneven yards → Wheeled mowers
- Steep slopes → Self-propelled mower
- Tight spaces → Push reel or battery mower
- Small yard → Electric or manual mower
- Over 1/3 acre → Gas-powered mower
Check the Warranty Coverage
Look for at least a 2-3 year warranty. Longer engine warranties indicate better quality and durability.
Buy From an Authorized Dealer
Purchase from an authorized retailer to ensure you get a genuine product with full warranty support. Avoid used/refurbished models with uncertain histories.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some top affordable brands include Troy-Bilt, Craftsman, Snapper, Greenworks, Honda, and American Lawn Mower. Compare warranties when choosing.
Absolutely. Battery and electric mowers provide plenty of power for average-sized, flat lawns. They require less maintenance too. Just ensure an adequate runtime.
Expect 30-60 minutes from a fully charged 36V+ battery. Higher voltage and amp hour (Ah) ratings provide longer runtimes.
Fully empty the fuel tank. Change oil and clean the mower deck. Store indoors or use a cover outside. Remove the battery if electric.
With proper maintenance, gas and electric mowers average 6-8 years. Battery mowers may start fading after 3-5 years. Higher priced commercial mowers can last 10+ years.
Get the Right Affordable Lawn Mower for You
Your lawn deserves a quality mower, even on a budget. With the options reviewed and tips here, you can find the ideal lawn mower under $500 for great performance at low cost this mowing season and beyond.
If your mower starts running rough, see our guide on troubleshooting lawn mower problems to get it smoothed out again.