Gas-powered lawn mowers have remained the top choice for homeowners for decades. Equipped with robust engines, they can easily power through thick, unruly grass. If you’re considering a gas mower for your lawn, this is your go-to guide to find the best lawn mower 2023.
Why Choose a Gas Lawn Mower?
Selecting a gas lawn mower offers robust power and versatility, making it an ideal choice for those with larger yards mowing needs.
1. Powerful Performance
Gas engines pack more power and torque than their electric counterparts. This allows them to cut through tall, thick grass without bogging down. Gas mowers are ideal for larger yards with dense grass.
2. Extended Run Time
On a full gas tank, you can continuously mow for up to 90 minutes. They are easier to stop and recharge like with battery-powered mowers. As a result, this saves a good share of time when managing larger properties.
3. More Affordable
If we talk in terms of cost, quality gas mowers are generally cheaper upfront than electric ones. The engines also last longer, so you’ll get more years of use for your investment.
4. Quieter Operation
As per results, modern gas mowers have gotten much quieter over the years. Many 4-stroke engines operate around 75-85 decibels, similar to an average gas-powered leaf blower.
5. Variety of Models
Gas mowers come in walk-behinds, self-propelled, and riding models. This provides options for every lawn size and budget. You’ll find the perfect machine for your needs.
Types of Gas Lawn Mowers
1. Push Mowers
The most basic gas mower push models require you to move the mower around the yard physically. Such type of lawn mowers are usually best for smaller, even properties under 1/4 acre.
2. Self-Propelled Mowers
The gas engine powers the mower forward on these, so you only have to steer. Makes mowing slopes and larger areas much more accessible.
3. Riding Mowers
Ride-on mowers allow you to sit and drive the mower around like a small tractor. Such mowers are ideal for properties over 1 acre with extensive mowing. Zero turns provide superior maneuverability.
4. Robotic Mowers
Automated mowers run on gas generators to mow unattended. Most of them dock at a base station to recharge. This type of mower can handle up to 2 acres.
Key Features to Look for When Buying
- Engine power – Look for at least a 190cc engine for sufficient power.
- Cutting width – Wider decks like 21-30″ get the job done faster with fewer passes. Ensure it fits through the gates.
- Drive system – Self-propelled with all-wheel drive can easily tackle slopes and uneven terrain.
- Mulching/side discharge – Mulching returns clippings to the lawn. Side discharge leaves a cleaner cut.
- Cut height adjustments – Easy to adjust settings from 1-4″ allow customizing cuts for lawn conditions.
- Comfort features – Padded handles, adjustable controls, and a lightweight frame reduce fatigue.
Gas Lawn Mower Brands
Stick with proven brands like Honda, Toro, Troy-Bilt, and Craftsman. Such big brands use quality components and engines that will stand the test of time.
How to Maintain Your Gas Mower
- Change oil regularly per manual to prevent buildup and lubricate the engine.
- Replace the air filter annually for proper airflow.
- Sharpen blades 1-2 times per year as sharp edges provide a clean cut.
- Clean the underside of the deck after each mow as built-up grass can affect cutting.
- Drain fuel or add a stabilizer before winter storage prevents gumming.
Proper maintenance will extend the machine’s lifespan while improving cutting performance season after season.
Gas Mower Safety Tips
Gas mowers often require caution to operate safely so you are always on the safe side while mowing. Below are some useful clothing suggestions to consider when mowing lawns for a safer cause.
- Wear closed-toe shoes and avoid loose clothing that can get caught.
- Keep your hands and feet away from moving parts. Make sure not to play with the engine when mowing lawns.
- Refuel only when the engine is excellent and away from sources of ignition.
- Adjust the cutting height for conditions and keep a firm grip on the mower.
- Whenever you mow, make sure to move in a perpendicular direction in slopes, not up and down.
- Ensure proper guards and shields are in place before mowing.
Following these safety best practices reduces the risk of injury. Make sure not to include kids when mowing so you don’t find yourself underwater at the time of mowing.
With proper maintenance, gas mowers can provide reliable service for 8-12 years while commercial-grade models may last over 15 years.
Regular 87-octane unleaded gasoline works for most mowers, while some require higher octane. Check manual.
Gas mowers produce emissions, but new models are more efficient. Overall green mowing tips can reduce environmental impact.
Honda and Toro mowers with 4-stroke engines tend to be the quietest. Look for models rated under 85 decibels.
As new models hit stores in early spring, try to get pieces with their best availability and deals. Also, shop fall clearance sales are a great time to buy a mower.
Although gas mowers can be used throughout the year, areas with less grass-growth don’t need mowing in particular.
The Best Gas Lawn Mowers of 2023
If you’re looking to purchase a new gas-powered mower, these top-rated models offer excellent performance, reliability, and value:
- Honda HRX217 – Legendary Honda engineering provides commercial-grade durability.
- Toro TimeCutter – Powerful torque for tackling hilly, uneven terrain with all-wheel drive.
- Troy-Bilt TB180 – Budget-friendly push mower is great for smaller suburban lots.
- Craftsman M140 – Loaded with features in an affordable package from a trusted brand.
- Husqvarna Z254F – Robust fabricated decks and premium seats make mowing acres a breeze.
Don’t just choose on price alone but always consider your property’s size and challenges to select the right mower.
Needless to say, gas-powered mowers remain the workhorse of lawn care due to their unmatched power and efficiency in mowing.
Such advancements in 4-stroke engine technology have made them much quieter and better at use. With a small share of yearly maintenance, a good gas mower can transform your mowing from scratch. As a thumb rule, take the time to assess your needs and compare the top brands to select the perfect mower that fits your lawn.